Thursday, November 5, 2009

Can I be too BIG?

I had a talk earlier today with a new co-worker of mine.  It consisted of most company politics and how we were positioning ourselves in the market.  I will not go into it for obvious reasons, but there was something interesting that popped up.  Many of the solutions that my company uses work well for large companies.  The company I work for is huge.  Is there a point to when normal rules no longer apply?

I doubt many study lots of physics but everyone remembers the simple stuff from high school.  Force = mass X acceleration.  This equation works well for a lot of things.  In general is it an extremely good estimate.  If the mass is shrunk down to microscopic size this formula no longer works, it breaks down.  There is another equation to use because the problem is so small.  At the same time if mass were increased to something planet size neither formula would work.  A completely new way of dealing with things has to be used.

To make a story short when things get too small or big normal rules no longer apply.  This works for science, but does it hold true to business?  Cloud computing is supposed to be elastic.  It runs on top infrastructure giants like Amazon and Google.  Will cloud solutions for small companies still work for giants like mine?  There have been no large scale migrations to the Cloud yet so I do not think anyone can say for sure.

An interesting fact was given to me.  Due to flu season, people are staying home.  Not only that they are surfing the web, watching lots of streaming video.  If you do not know steaming video is very process intensive and uses large amount of data.  Someone said flu season might crash the internet.  

My reply was bullshit.  It got me thinking though if Cloud computing becomes common place the amount of information across the internet will greatly increase.  I know providers like Google and Amazon will adapt but will the hardware of the internet be able to handle it?  Is anyone thinking about this?  I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment